Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Updates!

Merhaba!

I'm slowly getting ready for Turkey; I have nothing packed, but I've made several packing lists. I've been reading a lot of travel books and books on Turkey, and I've been slowly working through my Turkish phrasebook. A few weeks ago, I was assigned my housing and my roommate: I'll be living in one of the EBI dorms, which means I'll have ethernet access in my room and a kitchenette, with a student lounge and a breakfast bar/cafe on the first floor. My roommate is Turkish, from a region called Pamukkale, and she seems really nice. I went to the Travel Clinic last week and got my Hepatitis A, Typhoid, and Influenza innoculations, along with a strict lecture on staying away from birds. I've been following the bird flu developments in Turkey quite keenly; it should be interesting to be over there as they're dealing with bird flu, but I hope it doesn't get too much worse: I don't think I'll be in any personal danger from bird flu, as I'm not going anywhere near any bird that's not fully cooked, but if a large outbreak results in mass panic or disorder, or travel restrictions, or instability, it would be interesting but not all that safe. At the moment, it looks like bird flu won't be horribly widespread in Turkey, knock on wood.
At the moment, I'm just trying to figure out what I'm bringing and how I'll pack it; I can bring 2 suitcases and a carry-on, but I have no idea how much stuff I should bring. I'm sure I'll probably manage to bring too much, and to forget something crucial back in Minnesota.
Looking ahead, I leave for Ankara at 3:20 next Saturday, and I'll arrive in Ankara at 3 on Sunday (or 7AM Minnesota time), where I'll be met at the airport by a student guide. I'll then spend two weeks in orientation, learning Turkish, learning about Turkey, registering for classes, and probably taking a trip to Cappadocia; classes don't begin 'til February 8. I'm getting really excited, and in the meantime, email or comment if you have any questions, comments, warnings, advice, or jokes about Turkey! I'll post more contact info once I get to Turkey; I won't know my address 'til I get there. 'Til later,
-R

No comments: