Monday, January 23, 2006

I'm Here!

Hi everyone;

I'll keep this short, as i'ts 1AM here and I'm writing on a Turkish keyboard (fairly confusing/exasperating), but I figured I'd let'ch'all know that I'm here in Ankara. I arrived yesterday at about 3 pm local time, or 7 am Minnesota time. So far, it's very exciting/fascinating; the campus is interesting, it's pretty wooded, and it's maybe 20 minutes from downtown Ankara. The biggest struggle I've had as of yet is the food: it seems as though everything is made smothered in cheese, even breakfast foods. I had some sort of dinner today that's apparently a Turkish favorite; it was a baked potato split down the center, with the insides scraped out and mixed with something, like mashed potatoes. The mashed stuff was then put back into the potato and topped with pork sausage slices, pickle slices, jalapeno peppers, olive slices, onions, peas, corn, ketchup, and mayonnaise (it normally also has cheese, as well). It was pretty interesting.
Well, I'll write more when my wireless is up and running, so I don't have to use these darn Turkish ones,
-R

No comments: