Sunday, December 18, 2005

in which I answer another question

I realized I forgot to answer one of the questions I've heard quite frequently, so I figured I do that now:

What are you going to do in Turkey?
For the most part, I'll be taking classes; the program is a direct exchange, so I'll be just like a regular METU student, except not fluent in Turkish and without a "real" major. Since classes at METU are worth 3 credits each, I'll be taking 6 or 7 classes, as opposed to the 4 that would be a normal courseload here; apparently 6 or 7 classes is fairly normal there. When I get to Ankara, January 22, I'll start a 2-week orientation, with an intensive Turkish-language class and a class on Turkish government/society/stuff I should know. Then, I'll be a regular international student; I'll get some travel in, definitely to Istanbul, on the weekends. The Study Abroad office organizes a few trips for the International students, so I'll do those; I know that one of them is supposed to be to Cappadochia, which is the "fairy chimney" region, with cave churches and cities. For the most part, though, I'll just be a regular student.

No comments: