Monday, June 02, 2008

My next adventures

I’m updating this from the depths of its disuse on the eve of my first few weeks as an alumna of BU to bring it, and inshallah any readers, up to date. Although this past year I spent predominantly in Boston, finishing my degree, this summer I will be returning to Turkey as a Fulbright Scholar to study and research for a year. While in true Turkish fashion the details are still being worked out, I’m flying to Istanbul in mid-June for a seven-week Turkish program, and will move to Ankara at the end of the summer to take classes at METU/ODTÜ and begin my research. I am incredibly excited to have this opportunity, and really looking forward to living in Turkey again and solidifying my Turkish. Inshallah I’ll update this blog with news/stories/adventures, and keep my Flickr account straining under massive influxes of photos.

My research will be on Turkish foreign relations, paying special attention to foreign relations within the context of Huntington's Clash of Civilizations. Some of you may remember, I wrote my thesis on Turkey and Huntington's theory, so I'll be expanding the breadth and depth of that. I intend to travel through the Turkish border regions to better understand the border relations separate from Turkey's foreign policy. It looks to be an interesting time to be in Turkey, and again, I'm pretty excited.

Stay tuned for more info!

-R

No comments: