Tuesday, February 21, 2006

contact info and the like

I figured now that I'm settled in, I'd let you all know how to get in touch with me, if it strikes your fancy.
My snail mail address:
c/o Study Abroad Office
504 Rektörlük
Middle East Technical University (or Orta Doğu Teknik Universitesi)
06531
Ankara, Turkey

or you can email me at r_doffing_at_hotmail_dot_com (take out all the _s)
that's also my msn name, so feel free to say hi!
Of course, you can always comment here, too.

I've finalized my class schedule. I'm taking Turkish, Contemporary Turkey, Political Economy of Globalisation, Advanced Communications in IR, Human Rights in World Politics, and Museology. I only have one morning class, on Mondays, which I'm psyched about.

Oh, and it's finally warmer! Most of the snow has melted, so you can really see what the campus looks like, which is nice. I'll try to take pics in a bit and post them here.
'til later,
-R

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

R, Mom's coworker had some places to check out when you are in Turkey. One is the Hagia Sophia Museum in Istambul and the other is the Caria Museum also in Istanbul. Website to check them out is; www.istanbulhistorichotels.com

Loved the pictures! What are some of the "typical" prices for things over there?

Dad

Minnesota Globetrekker said...

Thanks Dad! One of the photos in my last post is of the Aya Sofya (I think, I'll have to double check). I did get right up next to it, but we didn't go in, as it was right across from the Blue Mosque, and only one of them was free (guess which one). I'm definitely going to see it next time I'm there, though. I'd not heard of the Caria Museum, but it sounds like someplace I should see.
Typical prices are a bit pricier than Ankara. I think cheap meals were 7-9 YTL, whereas you can get similar food for 5 or 6 YTL back in Ankara. The souvenir prices were extremely expensive, and a lot of the vendors aren't very used to tourists bargaining. We were quoted 20 YTL for headscarves/shawls on the grounds of the Blue Mosque, which is actually a decent price by Western standards, but we bargained the price down to 5 YTL, which is closer to what it would cost at a bazaar in Ankara. When I added up all the money that I spent this weekend, it was a bit more expensive than doing similar things in Ankara would cost, but it was definitely worth it!
-R

Anonymous said...

R--I'm loving your blog! The photos are fantastic and it sounds like you are having a great time. Thanks for sharing with us.