Saturday, May 30, 2009

Big news for my 100th post

I said I'd try to find something good for my centenary post, and it appears I have. Several of my readers have been asking what exactly I'm doing once my Fulbright grant is finished (especially those of you related to me, hi folks!), and my response has generally been a measured account of options I've been exploring.

Well no more: as of yesterday, I have gainful post-Fulbright employment, and in a development that will be good news for this ostensibly-a-travelblog blog, I'll be staying in Turkey!

I will be moving though, and fast. Next week I head to Istanbul to meet up with my mom, who's coming to Turkey for the first time to see Istanbul, Ankara, and me. After a full week of travel, sightseeing, and packing I'll see Mom off to the airport, turn around, and start studying for the foreign service exam, which I take the next day.

The day after I take the foreign service exam, I'll be shipping out to Istanbul, hopefully with all my stuff, although I'm not actually sure how this operation is going to happen. That weekend will be a maelstrom of unpacking, setting up house, and getting ready to start work that Sunday or Monday. Before I unpack though, I need to find an apartment, which at the moment I do not have.

So I'm two weeks out from starting. The job itself sounds really fun and challenging: I'll be copy-editing for an English-language newspaper here, turning questionable prose into beautifully clear articles. Since I'm a stickler for grammar, spelling, and good writing, and have spent the last year learning the ins and outs of the Turkish political system pretty intricately, I think it'll be a good fit.

In the meantime though, I'm commencing a blizzard of activity: packing up everything, getting rid of as much as possible, finding a new flat, getting my current flat ready for the realtor, settling my finances, physically moving all my belongings to Istanbul (this would be so much easier if I had a car), and somehow, between all that and showing my mom how awesome this country is, tracking down all my Ankaralilar to say goodbye. Luckily as I'm still going to be in the country, and in the largest city at that, it should be easier to still meet up with Ankaralilar.

Also easier, oh ye who have not yet visited but who should come see Turkey/me, will be visiting: my new job is 2 Metro stops from Ataturk International Airport, and flights into Istanbul are ludicrous amounts cheaper than flights to Ankara (and you get to skip the 6 hour Istanbul-Ankara busride, too--bonus). So once I have a legit place to live, visits are highly encouraged.

I'm pretty excited about all this, even though it will be a loooong few days getting all the details of my move organized. I'm taking a break from playing The Weakest Link with my wardrobe tonight to go see the last football match of the season, Genclerbirligi versus Kayserispor. It should be a good game, and I'll be in a pretty celebratory mood.

Side note, I'm soliciting ideas for a new blog title; I can't exactly write on Ankarali life when I'm living in Istanbul maalesef. Ideas?

kib,
-R

1 comment:

Efe Sevin said...

Hey there,

This is Efe, a Fulbrighter from Turkey in Boston!

Congratulations on your new job! I hope everything works out for you.

I just wanted to assure you that in fact you can write about 'Ankarali Life' from Istanbul :) I don't know whether you have heard about Ismet Berkan during your stay in Ankara or not, but he used to be the Ankara representative of Radikal a few years ago. During the time he worked as the Ankara representative, he lived in Istanbul ;) He even wrote a book about it :)

Birden Fark Ettim! Benim De Bir Hayatim Vardi.

http://www.ideefixe.com/Kitap/tanim.asp?sid=EPDNUO878F3FD9GJORY3

So, you don't need a new blog title :)

Have fun in Istanbul!

Efe