Saturday, December 20, 2008

A Few Pics from Bursa

102_1588
Ceylan and me in our headscarves outside the Yesil Cami, so named because of its green-tiled interior.

102_1662
Minarets at Yesil Cami; I really love minarets, they're so beautiful, and generally pretty well-designed and unique.

102_1690
Part of the tomb complex at Muradiye Cami; there are about a dozen buildings, each with several-to-quite-a-few people buried inside, mostly royal. Apparently, every single imperial son buried there was murdered by a member of their immediate family for succession reasons.

102_1577
Kebabci Iskender's crack doner-shaving team; serving up portions of the original Iskender Kebap. Also note how ridiculously bundled-up I am--I think I'm wearing 4 layers in this photo because like an idiot I went on vacation in December in the mountains with sweaters but not a coat. Also notice how fast that guy's hands are moving, he is a meat-shaving master.

It's been a quiet few days here in Ankara; pretty much I've just been cooking, shopping, and catching up with folks here there and everywhere. Kelly landed this morning in Istanbul, where she's doing the tourist thing in Sultanahmet for the weekend, and where I'll pick her up on Monday as long as she doesn't get horribly lost in Besiktas.
I also have apparently become one of the identifying characters of my neighborhood, the old men at the kuruyemis/corner store next to my building notice when I'm gone for a few days, and love telling me how great my Turkish is (unfortunately, it's entirely hyperbole, but I appreciate it), and the checkout people at the grocery store half a block down the street compete to get me in their line. I'm hoping it's because I'm an endearingly odd yabanci, but who knows...
On that note,
kendine iyi bak,
and hope all you-all are having a great holiday season!
-R

No comments: