Sunday, July 27, 2008

Bombs in Istanbul

Hey everyone,
So again, I'm absolutely fine; two bombs went off about 2 hours ago in Istanbul, and so far the papers are reporting 13 dead and over 70 injured. It's really not good; this may be (if I recall correctly) the worst attack in Turkey since the HSBC bombs by the PKK in the early 2000s.
On a personal note, the bombs went off in Gungoren, which is about 8 miles as the crow flies from my apartment, so I'm not really near the site, although clearly still closer than I'd prefer to be. I'll be keeping a lowish profile the next few days (although this does not seem to have targeted foreigners--it was in a working-class, non-touristy neighborhood); as I mentioned in an earlier post, the decision on whether to close the AK Parti is expected to be made this week, so political tensions will be high, and this bombing will only exacerbate things. Jenny White speculated in her post about the bombings that they may have been orchestrated by Ergenekon, which frankly makes more sense to me at the moment than the PKK. I suppose time will tell. But for more info:

Jenny White's post, with a concise synopsis: http://www.kamilpasha.com/2008/07/27/bomb/

Turkish Daily News' story, with details: http://turkishdailynews.com.tr/excontent.php?htmlcon=explosionistanbul.htm

BBC's coverage: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7527977.stm

It looks as though whoever did this timed the separate bombs so as to achieve maximum harm: by setting off a smaller "decoy" bomb and then detonating a larger, deadlier one once people had swarmed to help the victims of the first bomb. From the photos on TDN, it looks like some of the injured were children, which is just horrible. I really hope that morning brings more information to light, and hopeful prognoses for the 70+ injured people.

-R

No comments: